Climate Change Management
Master Autumn 2020
Climate change, with increasing temperature and changing precipitation patterns and increasing risk of natural hazards for communities and nature. This poses a range of new challenges for society and has created a great demand for candidates with up-to-date knowledge on climate change with competence of physical and societal planning.
This master programme will give you a broad understanding of the challenges society faces with climate change, and the competence to generate knowledge across traditional scientific disciplines, using knowledge from both natural and social sciences.
The Sognefjord region is a unique laboratory to study climate change and its effects with short distance to glaciers and range of geohazards close by, communities and infrastructure in demanding terrain and a living nature right outside the lecture room. Staff with international backgrounds will contribute with their knowledge and experiences on the climate challenge.
You will learn about:
- climate models and climate projections, and how they can be used to analyse and assess possible future scenarios
- national and international climate policy, and how this policy is applied
- how climate change affects species, societies and ecosystems, and how ecosystems may have solutions to the climate challenge
- how the society can transform energy production and use in a more environmentally friendly direction
- how to include evaluations of landslides, avalanches, flooding and water management in planning processes
- strategies, actions and tools for adapting to climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions
The teaching combines lectures, excursions and fieldwork, case studies, multidisciplinary work in groups, seminars and independent work assignments.
The language of instruction is English.
Your qualifications will be in demand in both the private and public sector, for example as:
- Physical or societal planner in municipalities, regions, road authorities or state agencies
- Climate, environmental or energy advisor in public or private sector
Help develop strategies and measures for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and plan society to mitigate and adapt to the climate challenge.
You can apply for exchange in the second semester.
Where can I travel?