ING171 Physics for for Fire, HSE and Mechanical Engineering
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
Motion along a straight line, motion in space, Newton's laws, work and energy, collisions, rotation, Newtons 2.law for rotation.
The student knows:
- Kinematics in two and three dimensions
- The structure of Newtonian mechanics.
- Newton's laws and the work-energy-law, both for translational and rotational motion.
- Conservation laws for collisions, both translational and rotational motion.
- The conditions relating to the use of different laws and principles.
- The use of models and area of application.
The student can perform:
- Calculations based on Newtonian mechanics, both translational and rotational motion.
- Use of good and clear sketches as part of problem solving.
- Laboratory work including teamwork and scientific report writing.
The student can:
- Explain physical problems and solution methods to others, both in writing and orally.
- Use tools from physics to find solutions in other technical fields.
- Recognize simple physical laws which are expressed in complex technologies.
Recommended previous knowledge
2FY / Physics 1
3MX / R2
Lectures, exercises, and laboratory work. The primary language of instruction for the lectures and all forms of evaluation (examinations, portfolios, and other work) will be Norwegian. However, some lectures and tutorials may be given in English.
1: Two lab-exercises approved. If the student has had the right to previously take the exame this compulsory assignment is considered fulfilled.
2: Three tests. Valid for 2 semesters.
3: Two written assignments. Valid for 2 semesters.
Written exam, 3 hours
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material