ING2041 Process Technology I
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Due to Covid-19, changes may occur in course descriptions for the spring semester of 2020. Changes in each course will be published on Canvas. When a course description has been changed on Canvas, the description on web is no longer valid. Examples of such changes could be accomplishment of practice, course type, or whether letter grades or passed/not passed will be used as grading scales.
Contents and structure
Equations of states, material balance calculations, energy balance calculations, heat exchanging, compression and expansion, entropy, work and heat, mechanical energy balance, process dynamics, vapor/liquid equilibrium. Introduction to HYSYS (process simulation).
- Is able to explain equations of state for ideal and real gases.
- Is able to set up and solve material balances and energy balances in chemical processes with and without reaction.
- Is able to explain basic principles of heat exchang, compression, expansion, vapor/ liquid equilibrium and process dynamics.
The student is able to
- Use the equation of state to calculate various scales.
- generate simple flowcharts with unknown quantities and can find linearly independent equations.
- Calculate work (ideal and real) for different types of process for ideal and real gases.
- Calculate heat- work conversion.
- Has knowledge of process simulation programs.
- Is able to provide knowledge written and verbal.
Recommended previous knowledge
Chemistry and the Environment, Physics, Analysis and Linear Algebra, Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics.
Lectures, and computational and laboratory exercises. HYSYS.
Yes (will be specified in the course plan by semester start).
Written exam, 5 hours, accounts for 100 % on the final grade.
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)
Technical table of formulas (Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa and Olsen) will be handed out during the exam.More about examination support material