ING4008 Building Fire Safety
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Due to Covid-19, changes may occur in course descriptions for the spring semester of 2020. Changes in each course will be published on Canvas. When a course description has been changed on Canvas, the description on web is no longer valid. Examples of such changes could be accomplishment of practice, course type, or whether letter grades or passed/not passed will be used as grading scales.
Contents and structure
The course includes qualitative and quantitative methods to assess fire safety in buildings. National and international regulations and standards within the fire used as a basis for designing fire safety in new and existing buildings and facilities. The course includes design of buildings with regard to personal safety, value and safety of continuous operation. Cooperation with architects and other consultants as well as relations with local authorities and implementing a good build process practiced using examples and implementation of projects.
- can discuss and evaluate how a fire behaves affects structures, and cause danger to persons and the fire brigade
- can account for events that have changed the security level in buildings
- can discuss and assess measures to prevent burns, including detection, evacuation, extinction and passive fire protection
- can discuss and assess transient fire scenario where construction is exposed to heat from the smoke and flames
- can discuss and evaluate different measure on the advantages and disadvantages of a specific fire scenario within building
- can discuss and evaluate fire extinguishing system in relation to different fire types and construction materials
- have knowledge of national and international regulation and standards in structural fire safety
- can discuss and evaluate the possibilities and limitations of the use of standards, codes and design tools
- can design escape routes for safe evacuation of person groups with different handicaps, and in different construction (eg. construction, boats, tunnels)
- can calculate and analyze transient fire scenario where construction is exposed to heat from the smoke and flames using appropriate computer program
- can calculate and analyze the dimensioning of a construction of wood, steel and concrete for both standard fires and for a full fire stream using appropriate computer program
- can calculate and analyze smoke control system based on air movements in the building and the effect of fire
- can calculate and analyze fire extinguishing system that uses water mist and quenching gas, including spray pattern at different pressures
- can calculate the time to escalation and comparing with time for evacuation necessary safety margin
- can use computer program for calculation and analysis of water mist and sprinkler
- can dimension and discuss the design of a concrete building or a concrete construction, identify design-related strengths and weaknesses related to fire safety and provide suggestions on how fire risk can be reduced through better design of the facility
- mastered the subject area of ¿¿expression and commonly used abbreviations
- can account for the subject area events and developments that have changed the view of fire safety
- understand symbols fire safety equipment and equipment used in various types of drawing
- can communicate challenges related to fire safety in an object
- can account for the subject area development
- can convey viewpoints challenges faced in the field and clarify the status of research and development in the field
- can help with innovation in safety passages
Recommended previous knowledge
The course will be based on collections of lectures, exercises, problem-based learning, group work, company visits, self guidance.
Yes, will be specified by teacher at start of semester
1) Project assignment, accounts for 40 % of the final grade.
2) Written exam, 4 hours, accounts for 60 % of the final grade.
Both parts must be passed.
Grade: A - E / passed; F / failed.
Examination support material
Approved calculator is: Casio fx-82 (All varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material