MGUMU301 Music 2, module 1
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Due to Covid-19, changes may occur in course descriptions for the autumn semester of 2020. Changes in each course will be published on Studentweb or Canvas. When a course description has been changed there, the description on web is no longer valid. Examples of such changes could be accomplishment of practice, course type, or whether letter grades or passed/not passed will be used as grading scales.
Contents and structure
Music 2 subject 1 is open to exchange students
Cultural and musical community, learning and different kinds of cooperation in formal and informal venues will be central issues in this subject. The students will develop musical and didactical skills by working with singing, playing, directing, and practical and theoretical aspects of teaching music in school.
At the end of the module the student has obtained knowledge of:
- children's musical culture, media and technology, and the relationship between formal and informal learning in music
- manifold and including communities for musical learning and how this knowledge is applied in school
- the relationship between music and pupils' emotional and social competences, and between music and early learning in school
At the end of the module the student can:
- develop his musical and didactical skills through working with singing, playing, musical directing and arranging/composing
- plan, lead, carry out and assess music teaching programs, and assess the work of individual pupils and groups of pupils
- discuss the impact of informal musical learning venues on the training of music and dance in school
- plan, carry out and assess comprehensive music training, and discuss how cooperation with external parts may strengthen musical learning
- prepare assessment of pupils based on subject knowledge and research knowledge about assessment, and communicate the foundation of the assessment to others
30 ects in music or music education
Lectures, practical work in smaller groups and full class, group work and literature studies. Observation of and reflection upon musical practices in and outside of school.
- Attendance in teaching.
- One practical and one written assignment. One of the assignments will adress vocational digital proficiency.
Mark scale: A-F
Examination support material
Musical instruments and equipmentMore about examination support material