MMO5011 Ship Operation and Maintenance Systems
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
General ship operation and maintenance with a focus on offshore technology/vessels, Strategies and methods for maintenance, Reliability and availability of equipment and systems, Condition monitoring, Analysis methods to establish maintenance programs i. e. "Reliability Centred Maintenance" (RCM), Computer based systems for maintenance management and spare part Control, Fire detection and -extinguishing systems on ships.
- can describe general principles for ship operations
- can describe different strategies and methods for maintenance of technical systems and equipment;
- is familiar with definitions related to reliability and availability of technical systems
- is able to prescribe condition monitoring systems for various types of equipment;
- has basic knowledge of central topics in electrical engineering, including measuring principles related to condition monitoring;
- is able to explain computer aided maintenance systems;
- can establish strategies and methods for maintenance including inspection, preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance and condition monitoring;
- can calculate the reliability and availability of technical systems and equipment;
- can describe various principles of measuring physical quantities;
- is able to carry out analyses to establish and optimize maintenance systems;
- can specify computer aided maintenance- and spare part systems;
- is able to specify fire detection and extinguishing systems.
- is able to explain the importance of maintenance with respect to safety, environment, availability and total economy;
- has sufficient knowledge of instrumentation and signal transmission to cooperate with the instrumentation engineers on the ship and offshore installations;
- can work in teams together with other persons to prepare and perform project work.
Recommended previous knowledge
Lectures, calculation exercises, project work and self studies.
If possible: visit a typical offshore vessel.
1. Written exam, 4 hours. 60/100.
2. Portfolio, 2 mandatory written assignments. 40/100.
Examination support material
1. Written exam - Formula book
2. Portfolio (Reports etc.) - All helping aids and printed documents allowed
Allowed calculator is Casio fx-991EXMore about examination support material