You are required to obtain valid travel and medical insurance for your entire stay at HVL before you travel to Norway. It is your own responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with, your study period in Norway.

EU/EEA/EFTA nationals

Bring a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), valid for the whole study period in Norway. This card entitles you to the same health services as Norwegian citizens. Expenses related to dental care and illnesses contracted before arrival in Norway are, however, not covered. Doctor consultations etc are not covered, and generally neither is prescription medicine.

Nationals from outside EU/EEA/EFTA

Bring a valid travel and medical insurance. If you are admitted to study at HVL for a period of 3–12 months you may apply for voluntary membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. If you are admitted to study for more than 12 months you are automatically a member. The membership entitles you to health services on an equal basis with Norwegian residents. A valid residence permit for the period in question is required. The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme covers the cost of regular medical consultations, with the exception of a nominal fee which must be paid by the patient. The scheme also covers hospitalisation in Norway.