Visa and Study Permit

As an international student moving to Norway you may have to apply for a visa and/or a study permit.


If you need to apply for visa or/and study permit depends on how long you are staying and which country you are from. Please remember to apply for a visa for the country of your citizenship regardless of which country you are currently living in.

All international students staying for up to 90 days

If you are staying in Norway for up to 90 days you do not need to register or apply for a study permit. However, you must make sure that you have a valid visa to visit Norway, if applicable. Most people from countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a visitor’s visa. 

Visit the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) webpage to see what applies to you. Type in where you are from to get personalised information. 

Note that some countries demand an Airport Transit Visa if you transit there on your way to Norway.

Nationals from outside EU/EEA staying for more than 90 days

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to study in Norway for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit for studies / study permit. Visit the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) webpage to see more information and how to apply. Type in where you are from to get personalised information.

As an incoming student from HVLs partner institutions you will receive a Letter of Admission shortly after you have received an answer to your application to HVL. You will need thLetter of Admission when you fill out the application for study permit.  

We advise you to start the study permit application process immediately after receiving the Letter of Admission as it may take up to three months.

Please note that there is an application fee and that you will need a confirmation of accommodation when applying for your study permit. You will receive information about housing from your contact person at HVL. Read more about housing on our webpage.

When you have been granted a study permit from UDI, the embassy in the country you are applying from will emit an entry visa without extra costs.  

EU/EEA nationals staying for more than 90 days

EU/EEA nationals are entitled to study and live in Norway. Therefore, if you have an EU/EEA citizenship and you plan to stay for more than three months you do not need a visa or a study permit, but you have toregister online. 

Once you have the necessary documents, register online. As soon as possible after arrival you are required to hand in the documentation to the local police office. You can move to Norway and start working/studying right away, but you must register no later than three months after your arrival in Norway.  

Nordic nationals staying for more than 90 days

If you have Swedish, Danish, Icelandic or Finnish citizenship you do not need a visa or a study permit to study in Norway. All you need to do is to report a move to the Norwegian National Registry if you will be living in Norway for more than six months. Se more information here.