We are pleased to welcome you as an employee of HVL! To ensure a successful moving process, we ask that you initiate the following steps as soon as possible and before your arrival in Norway.
Apply for a residence permit
In order to live and work in Norway, you must check which of the requirements provided by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) apply to your situation. As a general rule, you must apply for a Norwegian residence permit through a Norwegian embassy in your home country.
- Apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker with an employer in Norway
Apply for a tax deduction card and D number
Everyone who works in Norway must possess a tax deduction card and a Norwegian identification number (D number or national identity number).
- Tax deduction card - a step-by-step guide
- Norwegian identification number
- Get an Electronid ID / Become an online User
- SUA - Service Centre for Foreigns Workers
Information regarding health insurance and social security
Membership in the National Insurance Scheme is the key to eligibility for the services provided by the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV). In Norway, your membership can be based on residence or employment.
- Coming from an EU/EEA country to work in norway
- Coming from a country outside EU/EEA to work in norway
- Membership in the National Insurance Scheme
- About general practitioner and the GP scheme
- Information about NAV's services and benefits
Where to find housing
HVL does not provide rental rooms/apartments for employees, and you will have to find housing on the private market.
- Finn.no - Most listings are found here for both rental and purchase (in Norwegian)
- Hybel.no - Smaller-sized housing, bedsits, and shared housing for rent (in Norwegian)
- Utleigemegleren - A professional and efficient team to help you find suitable housing.