Ensuring equal assessment and development of quality in courses is a key goal of the quality system.
Develop and revise course plans
All course plans and programme descriptions must be in accordance with the Regulations relating to studies and examinations at HVL at the Western Norway University of Applied Science (HVL) and approved by the dean.
Upon revising courses and programmes of study, students, employees and representatives from the field of practice/work life must be heard and involved. The programme coordinator is responsible for participation. This should take place via the Programme Council.
See the guidelines for programme descriptions for more information.
Prepare and implement educational instruction and assessments
Teaching and assessment must be carried out in accordance with the course plan . See checklist for person with course responsibility.
The course coordinator is responsible for:
- Ensuring that instruction and assessments are carried out in accordance with the course plan.
- The control and operation of rooms on the learning platforms. The identity of the course coordinator should be stated here.
- Preparing examiner guidance and making this available.
- For supervised professional training courses: Implement supervised professional training assessments and follow-up.
The programme coordinator shall establish a long-term plan to ensure that courses in the programme of study undergo an external audit at least every third year.
When an external audit is conducted in accordance with the long-term plans, the external auditor shall write the audit report based on an established template.
Improve and develop based on experiences, dialogue and results
- The course coordinator must either conduct a reference group meeting no later than midway through the course with a minimum of two elected students who represent the class or organise a meeting with the entire class (with or without the course coordinator). Minutes must be taken from the meeting.
- The programme coordinator shall establish a long-term plan for anonymous surveys at the course level, to ensure that this is conducted at least every third year. The course coordinator shall ensure that planned course evaluations are conducted within a week after the final class session.
- Programme and course coordinators may choose to supplement with other dialogue and feedback methods with students, course lecturers and/or work life/field of practice.
For each individual course, the course coordinator and programme coordinator will have access to data on activities and results. This will provide the basis for a concluding evaluation of the course, in combination with student dialogue, field of practice, course lecturers and possible external examiners during the implementation of the course.
Depending on the type of programme and course, the programme coordinator shall determine whether to carry out a concluding dialogue meeting at the programme level, or whether the course coordinator shall write a final report on the course. It is possible to choose both, if so desired:
- If the programme coordinator decides to conduct a dialogue meeting, he or she will call for a dialogue meeting at the programme level (possibly at other levels if appropriate), where the course coordinator (and potentially other course lecturers) can discuss the implementation and results related to the course, and determine whether changes should be made in the course plan or programme description, or if other measures should be initiated. Minutes must be taken from the meeting.
- If a final report for the course is chosen, the course coordinator should write this based on a template. The report will be sent to the programme coordinator.
Feedback on results and measures
- The course coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all documentation related to the course for that academic year is made available to students on the learning platform.
- The course report or minutes from the dialogue meeting shall also be uploaded to the system for storage and communication of documentation. Documentation from previous years will also be available.