Cecilie Hamnes Carlsen
Field of work
I teach and supervise within the areas of second language acquisition, language testing and assessment, language policy and multilingualism. From 1997 to 2017, I worked as a language test developer of tests of Norwegian for adult migrants, from 2011 to 2017 as a leader (Norsk språktest/Kompetanse Norge). I represent HVL in the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) where I am elected member of the Standing Committee and co-chair of the LAMI (Language Assessment for Migration and Integration) special interest group. My prior and current research interests cover topics related to the use, and misuse, of language tests in immigration and citizenship policy, in the labour market and in education, with a particular focus on the impact of language tests on low-literate adult learners.
- Development of a test in Norwegian for minority pupils in upper secondary school ("Vestlandsverktøyet") with Vestland county municipality. (Role: Professional leader, teacher trainer, material developer)
- Vi leser! Development of teaching material for minority pupils in secondary school with low levels of literacy with Bergen county (Role: Consultant)
- Council of Europe development of a guide for low-literate adult learners (LASLLIAM) (Role: Consultant)
- MetaLearn -Education for plurilingualism: Metalinguistic awareness in early instructed language learning (Role: Researcher with primary responsibility of developing a MLA test for Norwegian pupils)
- Rocca, L., Carlsen, C.H. & Deygers, B. (2020). Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants: Requirements and Learning Opportunities. Report on the 2018 Council of Europe and ALTE survey on langauge and knowledge of society policies for migrants. Council of Europe.
- Carlsen, C.H. & Moe, E. (2019). Vurdering av språkferdigheter. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Carlsen, C. H. (2018). The adequacy of the B2-level as university entrance requirement. Language Assessment Quarterly,15(1): 75-89.
- Carlsen, C. H. (2017). Giving LESLLA-learners a fair chance in testing. In Solinski, M. (Ed.). Proceedings from LESSLA 2016 12th Annual Symposium, Sept. 8th.-10th 2016 (pp. 135-148). Granada: Universidad de Granada.
- Carlsen, C. H. (2014). Språkkrav og statsborgerskap - et testetisk dilemma. (Language requirements and citizenship - a test ethical dilemma). In Brunstad, E., Gujord, A.-K. H. & Bugge, E. Rom for språk. Nye innsikter i språkleg mangfald. Oslo: Novus.
- Carlsen, C. (2012) Proficiency level – a fuzzy variable in computer learner corpora. Applied Linguistics. 33(2): 161-183