Jump to content

Autonomous University of Madrid

The Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM) is a Spanish public university, founded in 1968. It has been one of Spain’s top-ranked institutions from the start. The main campus is located 15 kilometres north of Madrid.

Madrid is the capital of Spain and also its largest city, with a population of 3.2 million. Madrid is a modern metropolis and can offer almost anything a visitor could want from a city. However, the city has also preserved many of its historical neighbourhoods. The city also houses the Royal Palace, Royal Theatre and the Royal Opera House.


This is an Erasmus + agreement. As an Erasmus student, you will be participating in the world’s largest exchange programme and can study at good European universities without paying tuition. Through Erasmus+, you will be given an extra grant that provides more money to enjoy your stay.


This requires a B1 level in Spanish or English at the bachelor level, and a B2 for master’s and PhD students.

Everyone participating in an Erasmus+ exchange programme must take an online language test online before they travel, and they will be given access to a language course through this service. The Division of Research, Internationalisation and Innovation (AFII) will inform you of this test in advance.

If you can document that part of the study takes place in Spanish, you may receive a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway for a 4-week language course to be taken in Spain prior to the start of the semester.


You will not be paying tuition at this institution and will receive the Erasmus+ grant in addition to a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway. You will receive the same financial support from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway as for studies in Norway, in addition to a travel grant. You must pay a semester fee to HVL in order to receive a loan and grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway during the exchange period.

Course approval

In order to apply for a student exchange programme, your application must first be approved by the study programme of your faculty. An approved application means that you have been given an academic pre-approval for the course or traineeship you will be doing abroad. The academic pre-approval specifies what you will be doing while you are on an exchange programme and confirms these activities will be fully approved as part of your education plan at HVL.

What can I study?

It is possible to do an exchange programme in the 5th semester. Contact the academic contact person for more information.

Joint Master's Programme in Software Engineering

It is possible for you to do an exchange programme during the master’s programme and take either theoretical subjects or work on your master’s thesis. Speak with your academic contact person to find out when it would be best to go.