Jump to content

Otto Von Guericke University of Magdeburg

Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg was founded in 1993 and is one of Germany’s youngest universities. However, its roots go back even further, as the university was the result of a merger between a technical university, a teacher college and a school of medicine in Magdeburg. The university has nearly 14,000 students, and was named after a local scientist, inventor and politician who lived during the 17th century. 1200-year old Magdeburg is one of the oldest cities in the former East Germany.


This is an Erasmus + agreement. As an Erasmus student, you will be participating in the world’s largest exchange programme and can study at good European universities without paying tuition. Through Erasmus+, you will be given an extra grant that provides more money to enjoy your stay.


Classes will be held in English.

Everyone participating in an Erasmus+ exchange programme must take a free online language test online before they travel, and they will be given access to a language course through this service. The Division of Research, Internationalisation and Innovation (AFII) will inform you of this test in advance.

If you can document that part of the study takes place in German, you may receive a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway for a 4-week language course to be taken in Germany prior to the start of the semester.


You will not be paying tuition at this institution and will receive the Erasmus+ grant in addition to a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway. You will receive the same financial support from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway as for studies in Norway, in addition to a travel grant. You must pay a semester fee to HVL in order to receive a loan and grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway during the exchange period.

Course approval

In order to apply for a student exchange programme, your application must first be approved by the study programme of your faculty. An approved application means that you have been given an academic pre-approval for the course or traineeship you will be doing abroad. The academic pre-approval specifies what you will be doing while you are on an exchange programme and confirms these activities will be fully approved as part of your education plan at HVL.

What can I study?

Master in Fire Safety

You may do an exchange programme during your master’s programme. Speak with the academic contact person to find out when it would be best to go.