Jump to content

Chemnitz University of Technology

Chemnitz University of Technology is a public university with more than 11,000 students. It was founded in 1836 and was given its status as a technological university college in 1963. Today, Chemnitz is the third largest university in the Sachsen region.

During the East German regime, Chemnitz was known as Karl-Marx-Stadt. After the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989/90, the city took back its original name, which was from the river running through the city. Today, the city has a population of about 245,000.


This is an Erasmus + agreement. As an Erasmus student, you will be participating in the world’s largest exchange programme and can study at good European universities without paying tuition. Through Erasmus+, you will be given an extra grant that provides more money to enjoy your stay.


B1 in English is required to study at this university

Everyone participating in an Erasmus+ exchange programme must take an online language test online before they travel, and they will be given access to a language course through this service. The Division of Research, Internationalisation and Innovation (AFII) will inform you of this test in advance.

If you can document that part of the study takes place in German, you may receive a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway for a 4-week language course to be taken in Germany prior to the start of the semester.


You will not be paying tuition at this institution and will receive the Erasmus+ grant in addition to a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway. You will receive the same financial support from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway as for studies in Norway, in addition to a travel grant. You must pay a semester fee to HVL in order to receive a loan and grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway during the exchange period.

Course approval

In order to apply for a student exchange programme, your application must first be approved by the study programme of your faculty. An approved application means that you have been given an academic pre-approval for the course or traineeship you will be doing abroad. The academic pre-approval specifies what you will be doing while you are on an exchange programme and confirms these activities will be fully approved as part of your education plan at HVL.

What can I study?

PhD programme in Bildung and Pedagogical Practices

You may do an exchange programme during your PhD programme. Speak with your advisor and PhD coordinator to find out when it would be best to go.