Jump to content

Jönköping University

Jönköping University is a Swedish university college in Jönköping, owned by a foundation. The first students graduated here in 1897, although the university college itself was founded in 1977. Jönköping University has a total of 10,000 students, including 900 international students.

Jönköping is Sweden’s ninth largest town, with 93,797 residents. The city’s history can be traced back to the Bronze Age, and there are three burial mounds from this period in the area. The city is known as the “matchstick city”, as it was the centre of the matchstick industry in the 20th century. No fewer than 5 matchstick factories were in operation at its peak.


This is an Erasmus + agreement. As an Erasmus student, you will be participating in the world’s largest exchange programme and can study at good European universities without paying tuition. Through Erasmus+, you will be given an extra grant that provides more money to enjoy your stay.


Classes will generally be in Swedish, but certain courses are in English. If you are studying in Swedish, there are no special language requirements for students whose native language is a Scandinavian language. If you are studying in English, the language requirement is a B2 level.

If you are studying in English, you must take an online language test before you travel, and you will have access to a language course through this service. The Division of Research, Internationalisation and Innovation (AFII) will inform you of this test in advance. If you are doing a course with Swedish as the language of instruction, you do not need to take a language test.


You will not be paying tuition at this institution and will receive the Erasmus+ grant in addition to a grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway. You will receive the same financial support from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway as for studies in Norway, in addition to a travel grant. You must pay a semester fee to HVL in order to receive a loan and grant from the State Educational Loan Fund, Norway during the exchange period.

Course approval

In order to apply for a student exchange programme, your application must first be approved by the study programme of your faculty. An approved application means that you have been given an academic pre-approval for the course or traineeship you will be doing abroad. The academic pre-approval specifies what you will be doing while you are on an exchange programme and confirms these activities will be fully approved as part of your education plan at HVL.

What can I study?

PhD Programme in Health, Function and Participation

PhD students should discuss their stay with their academic advisor and academic contact person at the partner institution. You may arrange for this stay at any time during your PhD programme. Speak with your advisor and PhD coordinator to find out when it would be best to do the exchange.

Bachelor in radiography

The institution is a member of the Erasmus Radiography Group and offers a specialised 3-month academic programme in the 6th semester, where both local and international students can participate. The academic programme is comprised of both clinical practice and theory. Learn more about the Erasmus Radiography Group exchange programme. Contact the academic contact person for more information.