To be eligible for admission as an exchange student there must be an exchange agreement between your university and one of the partners in HVL. Please check with your home university if an exchange agreement exists.

English language requirements

We strongly recommend that you have a good command of English – a minimum of level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) – in order to attend courses taught in English. HVL expects that all nominated Erasmus students have been evaluated according to this framework at their home institution.

Exchange students with education outside the Nordic region who wish to apply for any of the courses taught in Norwegian must provide documentation of proficiency in Norwegian.


You must have finished 60 ECTS / first year of studies to be eligible for admission.

In addition there may be prerequisites for courses - check the prerequisites on your course information page.

Testing for tuberculosis and MRSA

Students from countries where tuberculosis is common are required to take a mandatoy tuberculosis test if they are going to stay in Norway for more than three months. See this pdf for a list of countries that have this requirement. 

If you are going to do clinical placement in the health care sector or in schools and kindergartens, and you have spent more than three months in one of the following countries you are obliged to be tested for tuberculosis: all countries outside of Western Europe, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Japan.

If you have been working, done placement or been admitted to a hospital or other health care institutions outside the Nordic countries you are obliged to be tested for MRSA.

You will not be allowed to start clinical placement if the test is positive so we advice you to take a test before you leave for Norway. You will also be tested in Norway before you start your placement.

Please contact your academic contact person or the international office for information on where to be tested.