BYG120 Timber Structures
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
The course will provide an understanding of the behavior of timber structures, placed in a building context. The course will provide the basis for the design of simple timber structures.
- Characteristics of wood as structural material
- Design calculations for axial force, torsion, moments and shear force
- Buckling effects
- Special calculation rules for load distribution, stiffening, glue laminated beams, curved beams, composite cross sections, etc.
- Calculation of displacements
- Structural design of connections: nails, screws, bolts, timber connections, dowels
- Selection of load bearing systems
- Review of relevant "Byggforsk" sheets
- Fire resistance
- Cross Laminated Timber
- Calculations for structural elements using structural analysis and design software.