ME350 Science Project BSc
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
Elective course for students that had any of the compulsory courses as part of semester programmes or other study programmes. The course is also suitable for exchange students interested in doing a science project (for example as part of an internship).
1. Students should contact a potential supervisor and agree on a specific science project.
2. Register for exam at this specific course at Studentweb in beginning of semester (see home page for registration deadlines)
2. The science project should allow students to gain in-depth knowledge of a specific field of interest and may build on literature study, field/laboratory work, data analyses and/or theoretical approaches, and preferable combinations of such.
3. Student and supervisor prepare a short (>2 page) proposal/overview for the content of the project
- Get in-depth knowledge within specific field of interest within the natural and environmental sciences
- Enable students to read and critically evaluate scientific publications concerning the specialisation topic
- Make students better prepared for a thesis project by raising their theoretical level
- Learn to apply specific scientific methods, such as field and laboratory measurements, data analyses or modelling tools, if applicable to the science project
- Assess scientific literature, technical reports, websites, etc. to gain information on a particular subject
- Formulate own research questions and use theoretical and/or practical approaches to answer them (depending on the type of project)
- Communicate findings in written reports
- Enable student to discuss scientific knowledge in context of environmental or management issues
90 ECTS within earth/environmental/life sciences or similar study directions at the time of application. Only for students enrolled in exchange programmes or from partner institutions.
Scientific project report or essay (depending on the project).
Once the written report has been graded, an adjusting oral exam will be held, consisting of a presentation (open) and an examination (closed). The grade can be adjusted by one character up or down.
Grading scale is A-F, where A is the best grade and F is fail.