BCA701M Other Arts Basic - Music
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
The course provides - through practical and creative processes - a foundation for leading music activities on a basic level, as well as first-hand knowledge of art practices special to music and music terminology which enables to communicate with and work co-creatively with musicians in interdisciplinary art projects. That implies training vocal abilities, playing a chord instrument, training aural skills, terminology of music theory expressions, and connecting these skills into leading and accompanying singing activities, as well as performing in an ensemble. This leads to building students' musical knowledge and skills. A course of folk music and dance exemplifies how music is connected to everyday life, culture and society, as well as other art forms.
The resources in the class form the basis for the further musical activities, as well as for the development of and reflection on students' own musical life.
- Vocal activities and methodologies
- Instrumental and vocal tutoring individually and in groups
- Understanding, aural recognition and terminology of music’s building blocks
- Rehearsing methodology
- Performance in ensemble
Included in the course is 1 week module in the rural city of Voss at "The Ole Bull Academy" covering the subject folk music and dance. Teaching and accommodation is free. Travel and served food is at the expense of the student and will cost approximately 700,- NOK
Students must have smart phone or equipment for video and photo captivation at their disposal for documentation purposes.
- Has knowledge of musical youth culture, media and technology and can relate this to teaching / facilitating music
- Has knowledge of teaching music and facilitating music activities
- Has knowledge of terminology that enables understanding, analysis and notation of music
- Has knowledge of singing as activity and knows repertoire for music activities for children and youth
- Has knowledge of the voice and different instruments for music activities for children and youth
- Can sing and use the voice in diverse ways
- Can lead singing activities and accompaniment in a supportive way on a chord instrument on a basic level
- Can develop aural skills and use these when rehearsing, performing and leading activities
- Can display technical skills on a chord instrument on a basic level
- ￼Can use vocal or musical instrument to perform music individually and in groups
- Can collaborate and adapt situated music activities musically and socially
- Can communicate with peers and professionals using music terminology
- Can connect practical skills and general knowledge and use this as a vehicle for improvement of musical quality
- Can reflect on context, didactical parameters, and decision making related to leadership and facilitator challenges in music activities
- Has insight in the roles and affordances of music as identity, music as communication media, music as expression of culture in a school context, and music in a diverse society
Recommended previous knowledge
Practical and methodological music activities in class, in groups, and individually, lectures, workshops, seminars, some online activities.
Compulsory learning activities
- Compulsory attendance is a requirement for parts of this course, which parts this is will be presented in the plan for each semester.
- Assignments mentioned in the semester plan (made available at semester start)
Grading: Pass / fail
Examination support material
All printed, written support material allowed.More about examination support material