BYG300 Timber Structures and Structural Analysis
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
The course will provide an understanding of the behavior of timber structures, placed in a building context. The course will provide the basis for the design of simple timber structures.
- Characteristics of wood as structural material
- Design calculations for axial force, torsion, moments and shear force
- Buckling effects
- Special calculation rules for load distribution, stiffening, etc.
- Calculation of displacements
- Structural design of connections: nails, screws, bolts, timber connections, dowels
- Review of relevant "Byggforsk" sheets
- Fire resistance
- Cross Laminated Timber
The course will also provide an understanding of the behaviour of structures in general and will provide a basis for structural analysis.
- Energy methods (Castigliano's theorem)
- Deformation of beams, frames and truss structures
- Statically indeterminate beams, frames and truss structures
- Plastic design methods (collapse of frames)
- TOB073 - Statikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- TOB072 - Trekonstruksjoner - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- BYG108 - Berekningsmetodar - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- BYG120 - Trekonstruksjonar - Reduction: 5 studypoints