MAS310 Renewable Energy
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
Globally energy consumption and resources. Solar energy, hydropower, wind power, bioenergy, geothermal energy, wave energy and tidal energy.
Design of power plants for small hydropower, solar cells, solar collectors and wind power.
- Can explain difference between renewable and nonrenewable energy sources.
- Can provide an overview on current renewable energy sources.
- Can describe technology for energy production based on renewable energy sources.
The student can
- Can select the main components for powerplant with hydropower, solar energy and windparks.
- Calculate the amount of energy, power, efficiencies and cost in relation to renewable energy.
- Can obtain and process the data required for meteorological, technical and cost calculations of renewable energy projects.
- has a technical and economical view of how relevant the various renewable energy sources are in our district, in Norway and in the rest of the world.
- Can contribute to the public debate on energy issues.
- Can assess environmental issues related to energy production.
Recommended previous knowledge
The entry requirements for the programme
Lectures and calculation exercises
Compulsory learning activities
3 individual home work
Written exam, 4 hours
Grade: A - E / passed; F / failed.
Examination support material
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material
- ING3036 - Fornybar energi og petroleumsproduksjon - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- MAS123 - Energi: Forbruk, kjelder og teknologi - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING3109 - Fornybar energi og petroleumsproduksjon - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING3021 - Fornybar energi - Reduction: 5 studypoints