MOØ224 Innovation in cross-disciplinary student teams
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
The aim of this course is to give students knowledge about and practical experience with an innovation process. In the course, students will take as their starting point an industrial challenge or problem from a company or organization and develop a solution in the form of a new product, process, or service. The solution must address economic, environmental, and social issues. The development of the solution will take place through repeated interactions with stakeholders such as users, customers, investors, researchers, partners, and others. In the course, students will work in interdisciplinary teams to develop the solution.
Students take as a starting point a challenge related to i) a separate business idea of their own, ii) an idea from a regional research or business environment, or iii) an idea from a company, a public enterprise or voluntary organization in the region. HVL will work closely with key players in the region to mobilize relevant ideas
The course will be a combination of seminars and practical work in cross-disciplinary student teams. The students get a practical introduction to how they can make use of different innovation methodologies to develop innovations. The course gives students skills about work in interdisciplinary teams, such as creativity in teams, learning and team management. It will be emphasized that students will think critically about the use of innovation methodology, as well as reflection on their own learning and responsibility in innovation work.
The student ..
• has in-depth knowledge of the innovation process and the role of the interaction between different actors in the development and realization of an idea
• has advanced knowledge of various innovation methodologies and tools for developing and leading innovation processes.
• can reflect critical upon the use of innovation methodologies and responsibility in innovation work
• can assess the relevance of different innovation methodologies and can apply these in the work of developing an innovation
• is familiar with prototyping as a methodology in business development, and can apply prototyping in the development of an innovation
• has the ability to reflect on what triggers and what hinders interdisciplinary collaboration in teams
• can communicate results from the innovation project to experts from the business community.
• can understand challenges with interdisciplinary teamwork and can contribute to interdisciplinary teams by showing collaboration, creativity, and responsibility
• can understand the different phases that are part of an innovation process and can develop an innovation in practice in close interaction in a team and with other relevant actors and users
• can contribute to innovation and creativity in innovation processes
Admission requirements for the master's programme.
The teaching and learning methods include a student-active start-up seminar, and interdisciplinary teamwork with an innovation project. In the interdisciplinary teamwork, students gain experience in identifying value creation potential and how this potential can be realized in an innovation process. The course has a practical a approach, where exploring tools and methods is central. The student teams get to practice communicating their innovation projects. The team work forms the main part of the course, and it is expected that the student teams work independently. Each student team will be offered supervision.
Compulsory learning activities
The following compulsory work requirements must be approved for the candidate to take the exam:
- Mandatory submission of mid-term report
- Mandatory submission of final report
Approved work requirements are valid in the examination semester and the following semester.
Intermediate exam in two parts:
- Team-based oral midterm exam
- Team-based final report
All parts must be passed to get a grade in the course. Each of the partial exams makes up 50% of the final grade. Grades are given in groups. Grade scale is A-F where F is not passed
Examination support material
NoneMore about examination support material
- INN524 - Innovasjon i tverrfaglege studentteam - Reduction: 7.5 studypoints