Field of work
Dr Shokri Amzin is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical and Marine Engineering at the Western University of Applied Sciences since 2014. He completed his PhD in the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge in 2012. He then successfully became a Research Fellow in the Energy Research Lab at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge.
His primary research and teaching focus directly on understanding energy conversion, its practical applications and its impact on the environment and humanity, with a particular focus on zero-emission energy and energy systems.
He is a fellow of the British higher education academy (FHEA) and a member of Cambridge University Engineer’s Association (CUEA), Hughes Hall College (Cambridge University), the Royal Aeronautical Society (RASe), Combustion Institute and the teacher union of Norway (AIØ).
Selected Research Articles:
1. S. Amzin, N. Swaminathan, J. Rogerson, and J. H. Kent. Conditional moment closure for turbulent premixed flames. In: 23rd International Colloquium on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems, 24-29 July 2011, University of California, Irvine, USA. Available on http://www.icders.org/ICDERS2011/index.html5.1.2
2. S. Amzin and N. Swaminathan. Computations of turbulent lean premixed combustion using conditional moment closure. Combustion Theory and Modelling, 17(6):1125–1153,2013. Available on https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13647830.2013.848382
3. S. Amzin, N. Swaminathan, J. W. Rogerson, and J. H. Kent. Conditional moment closure for turbulent premixed flames. Combustion Science and Technology, 184(10-11):1743–1767, 2012.Available on https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00102202.2012.690629?tab=permissions scroll=top
4. S. Amzin and S. Cant. Assessment of an equivalent reaction network approach for premixed combustion. Combustion Science and Technology, 187. pp. 1705-1723. ISSN 0010-2202S. Available on https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00102202.2015.1059329
5. N. Munteanu and S. Amzin. Prediction of pollutant emissions from bluff-body stabilised non-premixed flames. Journal of Combustion, vol. 2018, Article ID 8924370, 11 pages, 2018.https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/8924370
6. S. Amzin. Conditional moment closure for turbulent premixed flames. Springer Publishing Company 2017 (ISBN 978-981-10-7409-7) 24.
7. M. Domagala, H. Momeni, J. Domagala, B. Saeed, G. Filo, S. Amzin. Fluid-StructureInteraction Simulation of Flow Control Valve. Terotechnology XI. V. 17. Publisher: Materi-als Research Forum LLC. 2020. Available on https://www.mrforum.com/product/9781644901038-6/
8. S. Amzin, R. Grant and H. Momeni. Modelling of conditional scalar dissipation rate. In: the joint meeting of the Portuguese and Scandinavian-Nordic Sections of the CombustionInstitute, 17-18 November 2016, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon, Portugal.
9. S. Amzin, M. Domaga la. Modelling of Conditional Scalar Dissipation Rate in Turbulent Premixed Combustion. Computation 2021, 9, 26. https://doi.org/10.3390/computation9030026
10. S. Amzin, S. Norheim, B. Haugen, B. Rødland, and H. Momeni. Numerical Modelling of Two-phase Flow in a Gas Separator Using Eulerian-Lagrangian Flow Model. Journal of Engineering. (Accepted March 2021)
11. S Amzin, M.F. Mohd Yasin, . Modelling of a Bluff-Body Stabilised Premixed FlamesClose to Blow-Off. Computation 2021, 9, 43. https://doi.org/10.3390/computation90400435.2
Selected Conference Articles & Presentations:
1. The 32nd International Combustion Symposium, 2008, Montreal, Canada.
2. Computations of turbulent premixed flames using conditional moment closure. COCCFEA (Consortium on Computational Combustion for Engineering Applications), 2009, University of Cambridge, UK.
3. Computations of turbulent premixed flames using CMC. The International Colloquium on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems (ICDERS), 2011, University of California, USA.
4. Computations of turbulent lean premixed flames using CMC. The 14th InternationalWorkshop on Premixed Turbulent Flames, 2014, Courtyard Marriott Downtown, 299 2ndStreet, San Francisco USA.
5. Mathematical modelling of turbulent scalar dissipation rate. The joint meeting of the Portuguese and Scandinavian-Nordic Sections of the Combustion Institute, 17-18 November 2016, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon, Portugal.
6. Predictions of pollutant emissions from bluff-body stabilised non-premixed flames. 13thinternational conference on energy for a clean environment, July 2-6, Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal.
7. RANS-CMC simulations of lean premixed flames: A sensitivity study (accepted). 13thinternational conference on energy for a clean environment, July 2-6, Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal.
8. Modelling of conditional scalar dissipation rate in turbulent premixed combustion (accepted). 13th international conference on energy for a clean environment, July 2-6, Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal.
Books and Monographs:
Conditional Moment Closure for Turbulent Premixed Flames. Springer Publishing Company 2017 (ISBN 978-981-10-7409-7) 24 s. Springer Singapore.Available on https://www.springerprofessional.de/en/conditional-moment-closure-for-turbulent-premixed-flames/153004225.4
Awards, Memberships & Fellowship:
1. First-class Santander scientific award (2011-2012). Published on the news from Hughes Issue16 Easter 2012. Published on May 31, 2012, Hughes Hall College, University of Cambridge. Cambridge, UK.https://issuu.com/hugheshall/docs/newsfromhughesissue16easter2012Fellowships
2. Fellow of the British Higher Education Academy (FHEA)https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/5.6.2
3. Member of Cambridge University Engineers’ Associationhttps://www.cuea.uk2.
4. Member of Hughes Hall College, Cambridge Universityhttps://www.hughes.cam.ac.uk/3.
5. Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society
http://www.aerosociety.com/5. Member of the
6. Member of the Combustion Institute
7. Member of Tekna https://www.tekna.no/en/7.
8. Member of the energy and environmental technology research group(HVL)
9. Member of the Norwegian Union of Teachers
10. Member of the Norwegian Hydrogen Forum
11. Member of the Norwegian Ocean Hyway Cluster2https://www.oceanhywaycluster.no/
memberships of NOHC and HF are obtained through HVL.
Editorial & Review:
1. Reviewer for Fuel journal, 2016
2. Guest editor for a special issue entitled: “Opportunities and Challenges for CombustionModelling and Physics.” Journal Computation, 2021. https://www.mdpi.com/journal/computation/specia