When applying for admission to certain study programmes, you must provide evidence of your academic achievements and skills in English.
You need a certificate from one of the following tests:
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with at least 6.0 points. The IELTS test result cannot be more than two years old when you apply for admission.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with at least 550 points for Paper-based test (PBT), 213 points for Computer-based test (CBT), or at least 80 points for Internet-based test (IBT). We do not accept TOEFL My Best Score to meet our English language requirements. The TOEFL test result cannot be more than two years old when you apply for admission.
- Pearson PTE Academic with an overall score of at least 59.
You hand in your certificates as follows:
You can upload the official copy of your test result in Søknadsweb. Note that the TFR number in the bottom right corner must be legible. Western Norway University of Applied Sciences will verify your test result online.
Your test results must be original and sent to us directly from the test center by post and can be mailed to the following address:
Høgskulen på Vestlandet, Admission, Postboks 7030, 5020 Bergen, Norway
In addition, upload a PDF of your score report in Søknadsweb.
Pearson PTE Academic:
Send your score report to Western Norway University of Applied Sciences through your Pearson account. In addition, upload a PDF of your score report in Søknadsweb.
You normally do not have to document your skills in English if you have:
- Have completed at least one year of your university studies in academic subjects with English as the language of instruction in Great Britain, Ireland, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia. Please note that branch campus, validated and franchised programmes and distance learning students are not exempt from providing an English test.
- Bachelor degree or minimum one year of master studies (60 ECTS) with English as the medium of instruction completed in one of the Nordic countries
- University degree in English language and/or literature (a degree in other disciplines taught in English does not meet this requirement)
Please note that having worked in an English speaking environment or lived in an English speaking country does not satisfy the English language requirement.