ING3041 Mechanical Design II
Course description for academic year 2017/2018
Contents and structure
Introduction to mechanical design of steel structures regarding to EUROCODE 3, hand calculations and finite element method for stress calculation using computational solutions. Load effect based on design conditions, load combinations and reaction forces, capacity of steel structures, dimensioning of beams, rods, frames and nodes.
- Knows relevant Norwegian and European standards for mechanical design of bearing structures.
- Can define load combinations included dead load, payloads, environmental loads, accidental loads and so on.
- Knows different cross section classes and capacity regarding to buckling and tilt-buckling.
- Can describe finite element methods for stress calculations related to objects with complex geometry.
- Knows relevant computer programs.
The student can
- Choose methodical solutions for mechanical design of steel structures.
- Apply relevant standards related to calculations of load and capacity.
- Define dimensioning load combinations and constrains.
- Carry out stress calculations.
- Apply standards for dimensioning of beams, rods, frames and nodes.
- Apply calculation program SAP2000 for mechanical design of structures and truss using Eurocodes.
- Apply calculation program ansys workbench for stress and deformation in mechanical components.
- Check the plausibility of computational results with hand calculations.
- Can import 3D models into calculation programs to define geometry and dimensions.
- Knows standards to specify loads on bearing structures and can chose methodical solutions for mechanical design.
- Can provide solutions to colleagues and customers methodically in written and verbal form.
- Has a chance to handle unknown FEM programs if they are simular to ansys/SAP2000 .
Recommended previous knowledge
Physics; Statics and Strength of Materials, Mechanical Design I; Materials and Manufacturing
Lectures, projeks, computer exercises, calculation exercises, presentation folder.
Compulsory learning activities
1. Course requirements for the portfolio: SAP2000 and ANSYS
2. Course requirements for written exam: Will be specified in the course plan by semesterstart.
Both components must be passed.
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Written exam: pocket calculator (Casio fx-82ES) provided by the college, all written information is allowed. Teknisk formelsamling, Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa, Olsen will be provided by the college.More about examination support material