Course description for academic year 2017/2018
Contents and structure
Basic chemistry with a special focus on maritime issues.
The student has sufficient theoretical knowledge in:
- Atoms, the Periodic Table.
- The elements, chemical bonds.
- Reaction equations, stoichiometry.
- Oxidation and reduction.
- Nomenclature, complex ions.
- The aggregate states, gas laws.
- Acids and bases.
- Organic chemistry.
- Cargo properties.
- Controlling danger.
- Safety equipment.
- Tank entry.
- Gas measurement and gas freeing.
- The student is able to use theoretical knowledge to discuss issues on board vessels. Such issues can e.g. be
- corrosion and corrosion prevention
- ballast water treatment
- production of drinking water
- oil pollution
- air pollution
- toxic substances
- handling of tanker cargoes
- General Qualifications:
- Fulfills parts of the requirements for tankerman certification, as per IMO model courses 1.02 (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.1-3.6), 1.04 (1.3, 2.1-2.3, 3.1-3.4) og 1.06 (1.2, 2.1-2.4, 3.1-3.5).
Recommended previous knowledge
Compulsory learning activities
Written assignments (will be specified at the beginning of the semester).
Written exam, 4 hours, grade A-F.
Examination support material
Høgskolens Teknisk formelsamling (Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa og Olsen) will be distributed.
Høgskulens kalkulator (Texas TI 84) will be distributed.More about examination support material