MMO5006 Ship Propulsion Systems
Course description for academic year 2018/2019
Contents and structure
- Introduction to ship propulsion systems (Layout, Engines, Gears, Bearings, Seals, Shafts, Propeller, Diesel- Electric systems, ...)
- Introduction to ship operating systems (Layout, pipework, devices, fittings, ¿)
- Introduction to ship engines (2 stroke engines, 4 stroke engines, gas turbines)
- Introduction to ship fuels (todays fuels and future fuels)
- Different Fuel systems according the fuel (tanks, handling, safety)
- Thermodynamics of combustion engines => todays and future fuels
- Combustion => todays and future fuels
- Propulsion system dynamics, Safety and Availability, installation complexity
of the different propulsion systems /propulsion engines
- Environmental aspects / efficiency, exhaust gas composition
- Calculation and measurement methods for engine power output, fuel consumption, heat exchange, temperatures, pressures, flows, speed, exhaust gas composition,
The course aims at providing students a foundation
Theoretic and practical knowledge in ship technology. The content of the course will be closely related to the students own research work.
The students has
- knowledge about ship propulsion systems, fuel consumption, environmental aspects and ship handling
- knowledge about ship system layout and basic international rules for system layout
- knowledge about major research methodologies for applied research according propulsions and ship operation systems
The student is
- Able to analysis ship propulsion systems on different types of ships
- Able to layout the different systems on board
- Able to discuss/ work with the different partners in the ship building/ maritime industry
- Able to work in groups, manage report writing, presentation, function in a multi-disciplinary and intercultural team
Recommended previous knowledge
Basic knowledge about ship types, ship technology and ship building technology, working in research projects.
The course contains lectures; work in groups (layout work, experiments/ measurements in the ship propulsion and operation laboratory.
Compulsory learning activities
Yes, (will be specified in the course plan by semester start).
Grading scale 1-5
Examination support material
Will be declared during the lectures.More about examination support material