NAB2016 Maritime Law I
Course description for academic year 2018/2019
Contents and structure
- The most common legislation applicable to sea transport.
- The vessel as an item of value and a legal entity.
- An introduction to the methodology of legal principles, but with a focus on maritime issues.
- The Maritime Code, the Ship Safety Act, the Ship Labor Act.
- Legislation concerning the nationality of vessels, ship¿s registration and inspection, the buying and selling of ships, building, lien in/ retention of and the arrest of vessels, collision liability and prevention, other cases of liability, salvation, general average, seafarers bill of rights, transport of passengers and their cargo, and also accident investigation.
- International Conventions.
- Contracts of affreightment.
- Insurance - rights and obligations.
- possesses knowledge of the relevant parts of Maritime Law and Legislation.
- is familiar to the legislation¿s structure, management and areas of use.
- understands how knowledge within the legal field is renewed as a result of legislative interpretation and use.
- is able to relate legislation to current issues.
- knows how to tie simple legal material to actual cases and possesses accordingly the ability to interpret the principles of law.
- is able to present the basic theoretical understanding of a legal framework and the legal aspects of a contract.
- understands the legal impact of being a professional maritime officer.
- understands that he or she, as a Master, will possess the prime legal authority on board a ship.
- understands that he or she represents the Company.
- interrelates factual and legal assessments.
- understands and is able to take part in discussions of relevant maritime legal matter.
Recommended previous knowledge
Some basic knowledge with respect to Law may come useful. Legal entry-course literature may be used prior to or along with the course.
Learning through dialogue and activity. Case-oriented problem-solving course.
Compulsory learning activities
Practical or theoretical assigment(s) in written or oral form.
Written, 5 hr exam.
Examination support material
The official compendium of Norwegian consolidated Law, other non-commentary compendiums in regular sale and common availability, single official prints of law (Printouts from Lovdata not permitted).More about examination support material