DAT151 Database and Unix System Administration
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
In this subject the students will acquire basic knowledge of installation, administration and operation of a UNIX (Linux) system, and operation and maintenance of relational databases.
- Installation and configuration of Linux.
- UNIX / Linux system administration, including backups, printer management, etc.
- Management of operating systems and system components
- Installation and configuration of software and database servers
- Network file systems (NFS)
- Setup and use of systems such as LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
- Security in UNIX and databases: users, rights, roles, authorization, configuration of firewalls
- Resource Sharing Windows / Linux (Samba)
- Physical organization of databases, data storage, files, indexes
- Import and export data to / from databases
- Data management: availability, data quality
- Physical form design: normalization, query optimization, performance
- Concurrent users: Locking tables
- Transactions: different types of transactions and their applications
- Backup and Recovery
After completing the subject DAT151 Database and Unix system administration, the students shall be able to:
- Describe the principles of secure operation of UNIX and database systems
- Explain the procedures for installation, configuration and maintenance of individual components of such systems
- Evaluating a number of risk factors associated with the operation of such systems
- Perform installation and configuration of UNIX systems and databases
- Troubleshooting and repairing existing installations
- Plan and carry out preventive maintenance of UNIX systems
- Plan and carry out maintenance and performance tuning of databases
- Find and use information from vendor documentation and other relevant sources
- Write user documentation and instructions
Recommended previous knowledge
DAT101 Modelling and databases and DAT103 Computers and Operating Systems, or equivalent subjects.
Lectures. Practical exercises in groups on the lab.
Teaching materials in English, lectures in English or in Norwegian. All excer
Undervisningsmateriale på engelsk, forelesninger på engelsk eller norsk. Alle exercises have to be answered in English.
Compulsory learning activities
8 compulsory exercises must be completed (within the given deadlines) and approved before the exam can be taken. The exercises can be written assignments or presentations.
Approved exercises also give access to postponed examination the following semester. However, before a new postponed exam can be taken (the next time the subject is taught), new exercises must be delivered.
Time and place for examination will be announced at the subject's pages in Canvas.
Grading scale is A-F where F is fail.
Examination support material
None.More about examination support material
- TOD121 - Unix drift - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- TOD122 - Database drift - Reduction: 5 studypoints