PL417 Land Use Planning
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
An introduction to municipal planning with emphasis on land use planning according to the Planning and building Act. The content includes:
- The role and tasks of municipalities in the management system.
- Municipal planning, Information, Law and methods for physical planning.
- Political aims and conflicting interests in municipal land use planning.
- Environmental assessment analyses.
- Risk and vulnerability analyses.
- With emphasis on environmentally sound principles for development in rural areas with small towns
- The role and tasks of municipalities in the management system
- Key issues in land use planning
- The Planning and building Act: the planning system, requirements of planning processes and content.
- Challenges associated with planning for sustainable development
- Be able find information and do analyses
- Be able to make Environmental assessment analyses and Risk and vulnerability analyses for nature hazards
- Be able to understand and make use of municipal land use plans
- Be able to participate in planning processes
No formal prerequisites.
Recommended previous knowledge
GE-413 Cartography and Geographical Information Systems and/or PL-416 Landscape analysis is recommended.
Lectures and exercises.
Project work in groups.
Compulsory learning activities
Project work in groups: Environmental assessment analyses and Risk and vulnerability analyses for nature hazards for a part of a municipality. Project work must be approved in order to pass the exam.
Written exam 4 hours. Grading A-F.
- BYG146 - Arealplanlegging for byggingeniør - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- PL433 - Innføring i arealplanlegging - Reduction: 6 studypoints