NAB3037 Tank operations
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
The course addresses numerous basic and more advanced concepts, relevant for working on board an oil tanker or a chemical tanker.
The course covers regulations in STCW 78 including amendments, table A-V/1-1-1, A-V/1-1-2 and A-V/1-1-3, and qualifies for applying for lowest grade and highest grade oil and chemical tankerman certificate.
There will be a course fee. Further information will be given.
- Relevant regulations
- How to avoid dangers
- General HMS
- Crisis and Emergencies
- Physical properties oil and chemicals
- Risk Assessment related to safe operations
- Risk Management related to safe operations
- Operational equipment
Enviroment and pollution
- MARPOL and relevant guidelines
- Accident Prevention
- Pollution Prevention
- Risk Assessment
- Risk Management
- Ballast Water Treatment
- VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- Basic principles for cargo operations
- Advanced principles for cargo operations
- Issues related to cargo operations
- Tank Cleaning
- COW (Crude Oil Washing)
- Special operations
- Theoretical training, liquid fire; oil / chemicals
- Fire preparedness; oil / chemicals
- Firefighting Crude
- Firefighting Chemicals
- Equipment for firefighting; oil / chemicals
- Evacuation from enclosed spaces
- Equipment for escaping enclosed spaces
- Theoretical training, medical first aid; oil / chemical
- Medical treatment oil
- Medical treatment chemical
- Medical treatment burn injuries
- First aid in enclosed spaces
- Safety in enclosed spaces
- Gas measuring equipment operation and maintenance
- Gas measurement
- Work in enclosed spaces
- Safety and escape equipment
- Has broad knowledge regarding tank operations on oil tankers and chemical tankers
- Has broad knowledge regarding rules & regulations for oil tankers and chemical tankers
- Is able to see modern tank operations in historic context
- Has knowledge of research and development within the area
- Is able to use theory and professional knowledge within tank operations
- Can assess and execute necessary pollution preventive actions
- Understands the use of quality management systems
- Can use Oil or Cargo Record Books
- Can reflect on loading, storage, transport and discharging of oil cargo
- Can reflect on loading, storage, transport and discharging of chemical cargo
- General competance:
- Can carry out safe and environmental friendly operations on oil tankers and chemical tankers
- Has insight into academic and professional ethical issues related to tank operations on oil and chemical tankers.
- Can discuss theories, problems and solutions related to tank operations with professionals and others.
- Is familiar with innovation and new development related to oil and chemical tank operations.
NAB1022 Chemistry or equivalent.
Recommended previous knowledge
NAB2011 Thermo Dynamics and Fluid Mechanics
NAB2028 Loading techniques
Lectures, group work, case studies and practical exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
Mandatory attendance (max 4 hours not present).
- School exam, written exam, individual 4 hours, emphases 50/100, grading A-F
- Home exam, case study, group exam, 72 hours, emphases 50/100, grading A-F
Examination support material
- School exam - approved calculator: Casio fx-991EX
- Home exam - all supporting aids allowed
- NAB3016 - Tankoperasjonar - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB3011 - Tankoperasjoner - Reduction: 5 studypoints