SYKH120P Clinical study related to basic nursing
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
This module is a supervised clinical placement with a focus on the practice of patient-centred nursing for people who need help meeting their basic needs. Students use the nursing process in their practice of nursing, treatment and rehabilitation together with the patient, relatives and health professionals.
This module also covers the following topics:
Nursing procedures related to basic needs,
Documentation and journal systems,
The handling and calculation of medication
The expected study time for this module is around 405 hours.
240 of these hours are dedicated to direct patient-facing work. The remaining hours are allocated for compulsory learning activities (coursework) and self-study.
90% attendance is required for this module.
Upon module completion, students will have attained the following learning outcomes, divided into knowledge, skills and general competence.
• will have knowledge of technology and digital solutions
• will have knowledge of information security in nursing practices
• will be able to use interpersonal and communicative competence when meeting with service users, patients and relatives
• will be able to use subject knowledge of basic needs, health and illness to systematically observe, assess, implement and document appropriate nursing measures, as well as evaluate the effect of these and make adjustments as necessary
• will be able to use knowledge of professional ethics guidelines and relevant government requirements in their provision of services
• will be able to interact with other health professionals
• will be able to reflect on professional, ethical and legal issues in line with relevant legislation and guidelines, and adjust their practice in the course of their provision of services
• will be able to reflect on ethical and legal problems through the use of technology and digital solutions
• will be able to find, assess and refer to subject knowledge and relevant results from research and development work
• will be able to identify and assess risk factors associated with the individual
• will have mastered how to implement infection control measures to prevent the spread of unwanted microbes
• will have mastered mapping, assessment and documentation tools in their nursing practice
• will be able to organise and manage their own work
• will be able to plan and implement sound drug calculations and participate in medication handling under supervision
• will be able to plan and implement communication and interaction with patients based on respect, cooperation and integrity
• will be able to convey key subject matter such as theories, problems and solutions, both orally and in writing
• will be able to convey opinions and share experiences with others in the field, both orally and in writing, and through this contribute to the development of best practice
Recommended previous knowledge
Modules SYK100, SYK110, SYK130
Compulsory learning activities
The following compulsory learning activities must be completed before graduates can begin direct patient-facing work:
1: Compulsory participation in teaching that is related to practice preparation, skills training and simulation.
2: Skills test, individual/group.
3: Individual written drug calculation test (must be 100% correct)
Completed coursework is valid for four semesters. A student who does not complete their coursework will be moved down a year, and their individual education plan will be adjusted.
Clinical placements are assessed on a pass/fail basis after a final assessment of the student’s performance during their clinical placement. To pass their placements, students must have reached their learning outcomes and met the requirement of 90% participation in the course.
Resitting placements: If a student does not pass their placement, they will complete the placement period with the next year group.
Examination support material
AllMore about examination support material
- BSS2A2 - Fagutøving av sjukepleie i sjukeheim - Reduction: 12 studypoints
- BSS1AB - Introduksjon til sjukepleie - Reduction: 3 studypoints
- SK170 - Rettleia praksis i sjukeheim - Reduction: 12 studypoints
- PRAKHB1001 - Praksisstudiar med fokus på grunnleggjande behov - Reduction: 12 studypoints
- PRAKSB1001 - Praksisstudiar med fokus på grunnleggjande behov - Reduction: 12 studypoints
- SYKHB1021 - Sjukepleie ved grunnleggende behov - Reduction: 3 studypoints
- SYKSB1021 - Sjukepleie ved grunnleggende behov - Reduction: 3 studypoints