DAT156 Work placement, ICT
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
Through placement in a company, the students will gain valuable and relevant practical experience from working life. The students will do their internship on fixed days of the week. The selection of work days is coordinated with the timetable for other elective courses in the same term.
Enrollment for the course has to be done within the set deadline in the spring term. An internship should ideally be in place by the end of June. IDER/HVL cannot guarantee that everyone who registers for the subject will find a suitable internship by the start of the fall term. Consequently, the student is encouraged to have an alternative elective subject as their "plan B" option.
The student must, in consultation with the course coordinator, find a suitable internship with a suitable employer. The student applies for an internship according to the procedure specified by the individual company (typically through an application with/and/or CV, as well as an interview). The company grants internships in consultation with the course coordinator. Please note that in situations where the student himself finds a possible internship, this must be approved by the course coordinator before the internship contract can be written and signed.
During the internship period, the student must participate actively in the company's ICT-related work tasks. Applicable tasks may be within system operation and maintenance, installation, upgrades, user support, program testing and troubleshooting, and, system design and programming. Written and oral reporting is done to the contact person at IDER/HVL through, among other things, the relevant learning platform. A written contract must be drawn up and signed between the student, the company/client, and HVL represented by the course coordinator.
After completing the course DAT156 Practice in Workplace for IDR, the students should be able to:
- Describe the company, its corporate culture and the roles of colleagues at the company
- Give an account of work and working methods in the company
- Present themselves for a potential employer through the job application, resume and interview
- Study the assigned tasks and solve these
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues to address specific tasks
- Present the work performed during the practice, both written and oral
- Adapt to applicable rules and regulations within the company
- Reflect on their own knowledge and learning throughout the internship and in relation to the courses in their study program(s), as well as reflect on their role in collaboration with others
Minimum 90 credits must be passed before a student can be acepted for this course, including all subjects in first year (60 credits) and a minimum of 30 credits from subjects in the second second.
Individual work placement in a company. Various written, oral and practical assignments are administrated through the HVL LMS system.
Compulsory learning activities
Relevant work requirements given through the internship, as well as work requirements specified through work assignments in HVL's LMS system.
Exam in two parts:
1. Portfolio assessment:
- The day-to-day log/diary
- A status report halfway through the work placement
- A minimum of 216 working hours attested by the contact person in the company
- A final report
2) Oral examination based on a presentation of the final report and questioning. The students must also participate in the final presentations to fellow students with final presentations in the same session as themselves.
The grading scale is passed or failed.
Both parts must get a passing grade in order to get a final grade for the course.
Detailed guidelines and deadlines for the individual parts of the portfolio evaluation are announced at the start of the course.
The HVL course coordinators are responsible for the assessment of the student.
- TOD135 - Praksisfag - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- TOD136 - Praksisfag - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- TOD138 - Praksisfag i utlandet - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- DAT166 - Praksis i arbeidslivet for data - Reduction: 10 studypoints