ING2045 Active and Passive Fire Protection
Course description for academic year 2021/2022
Contents and structure
The course will give students insight to active and passive fire protection with regard to fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems and passive fire safety in constructions. It will focus on the advantages and disadvantages of different protection measures in relation to health and environment.
- Can explain active and passive fire protection measures in different phases of construction, conceptual level, detail design, execution and use. Including requirements related to operators and documentation.
- Can explain different standards as basis of planning and execution for active and passive fire protection measures.
- Can explain the structure of active fire protection measures such as sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems and smoke ventilation systems.
- Can explain the fire extinguishment theory with focus on the fire tetrahedron.
- Can explain the structure of fire suppression systems using water, gas, foam and powder, and the advantages and disadvantages related to HSE and extinguishing effect.
- Can explain fire alarm systems detecting smoke, gas, rise in temperature and thermal radiation, and explain the advantages and disadvantages of the different systems.
- Can explain the usage of materials and construction methods related to passive fire protection, and explain the advantages and disadvantages of materials properties related to fire protection and methods to improve these properties.
- Can explain the structure of thermal and mechanical smoke ventilation systems. Note the advantages and disadvantages in connection with the different systems.
- Can explain the structure of different guidance systems used for evacuation, and explain advantages and disadvantages of the different systems.
- Knows current innovations.
- Has knowledge of research and development in the field.
The student can
- Design sprinkler systems regarding to acknowledged standards.
- Design thermal smoke ventilation systems and define design fire.
- Based on acknowledged standards; calculate heat transfer through structures and estimate the reduction in materials properties due to fire.
- Apply academic knowledge with the support of literature and research to adress problems and make decisions.
- Reflecting on their work in the field, individually and in teams, and adjust this under guidance.
- Can communicate their professional work, written and verbally.
- Can use computer tools to perform calculations and for present their professional work.
- Can reflect in Teamwork on his work in the team and schedule tasks over time.
- Can identify solutions to problems in his field and contribute to discussion related to importance and impact of the solutions.
- Can assess knowledge in the field.
Recommended previous knowledge
Lectures, workshop, teamwork.
One mandatory assignment based on an optional topic from the course. The work can be done in groups or individually.
The work can be done in groups or individually.
Grade: A - E / passed; F / failed
Examination support material
The portfolio includes a written test. Only aid at the test is simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material