MAS503 Introduction to sustainability analysis
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
Sustainability is one of the main principles guiding most forms of product engineering this century. In this course, students will strengthen their understanding concerning the concept of sustainability from its inception in 1987 through to the present, and subsequent development of assessment methods and tools. As an outcome, students will be introduced to the most common methods and tools for the analysis and assessment of climate change- among other environmental- and social consequences relevant to engineers — including their areas of application and limitations.
- understands common climate change- among other environmental- and social assessment methods and tools, incl. their extent of application and limitations.
- has knowledge concerning the connection between sustainability and environmental- and social assessment.
- can select appropriate assessment methods and tools which can contribute towards sustainability analysis and assessment in future work.
- can apply energy-, climate and environmental assessment towards exercises, discussions and similar.
- can communicate with other engineers about environmental aspects and sustainability in technological projects.
Recommended previous knowledge
Basic understanding of linear algebra.
Lectures, guest lectures, self-study and exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
Written group-based assignment (2-3 students) with individual adjusting oral exam.
The assignment must be 2 500 words (plus/minus 20%) without references, figures and tables.
Grade scale A-F, where F is not passed.
Examination support material
None aids allowedMore about examination support material