For examiners at Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
As an external examiner at HVL you are expected to familiarize yourself with the following guidelines:
- The external examiner shall be completely familiar with the existing course plan, any possible examiner guidelines for the course, as well as the current Regulations relating to Studies and Examinations at HVL, and, if relevant, the Guidelines for PhD Degree.
- The external examiner is, in collaboration with the internal examiner, responsible for grading the exams, and that the signed form of assessment or digital form of assessment is handed in to the Examinations and awards office within 3 weeks, defined as 21 calendar days, after the date of the exam. For master`s theses, the deadline for announcement of grades is up to six weeks.
- Both the internal and the external examiners also have an obligation to submit explanations for the grading decision upon request. The examiners must agree on who will be responsible for doing so. The examiner can choose whether to provide the explanation of a student’s grade in written or oral form, and every effort should be made to provide the explanation within a maximum of two weeks from the time that the claim has been submitted.
- An external examiner that agrees to an examination committee shall also grade a possible re-sit examination within the same course or subject in the following semester.
- All answer papers will be checked for plagiarism. It is the responsibility of the examiners to control the answer papers and to notify the Examinations and awards office if there is suspicion of plagiarism. When suspecting plagiarism, the examiner shall not grade the answer paper until the matter has been clarified.
- HVL would appreciate your evaluation of the exam, as well as any suggestions regarding improvements. We therefore kindly ask you to fill in the Examiner Report Form, and to return it to the internal examiner or the person with the course responsibility.
- When carrying out an oral exam, both internal and external examiners shall evaluate the exam, and consider if there are aspects to improve. The internal examiner will submit a short summary to the person with the course responsibility.
For further questions: email@example.com
Do you have questions regarding agreements and payment of wages? Please contact the Examinations and awards office: firstname.lastname@example.org