BYG115 Soil Mechanics
Course description for academic year 2018/2019
Contents and structure
Soil mechanics is the subject that deals with soil properties in civil engineering (the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, 1956). The subject will give an introduction to:
- Classification of soil materials
- Stresses and strain in soil
- Shear strength of soil
- Lateral earth pressure
- Primary settlement of soil and calculations
- Slope stability
- Bearing capacity of foundations
The course is introduced with an intensive period of lectures, where students learn the terminology and classic methods of soil mechanics.
The students must fulfil a field course, which is followed up by a laboratory exercise.
- The candidate has a basic understanding of what soil is in construction engineering
- The candidate has a basis for assessing different properties in the soil in the event of tension changes
- The candidate has knowledge of lateral earth pressure against supporting structures
- The candidate has knowledge of slope stability and braced cuts
- The candidate has knowledge of the settlements and bearing capacity of foundations
- The candidate has a good foundation level for further participating in the planning of geotechnical analysis
- The candidate can make estimates and calculations for the design of foundations and supporting structures
- The candidate has established general expertise in soil mechanics and foundation engineering
Recommended previous knowledge
- Mandatory assignments
- Investigations to current construction and civil engineering Projects
- Field and laboratory investigations of soils
Compulsory learning activities
4 written assignments must be approved to attend the exam.
1 field/lab course with delivered report.
Approved mandatory work requirements are valid for 3 consecutive semesters.
Written exam, 4 hours. The time and place of the exam will be announced on Studentweb.
Grade scale A-F, where F is not passed.
Examination support material
Approved calculatorMore about examination support material
- TOB012 - Geoteknikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- TOB053 - Fundamentering - Reduction: 5 studypoints