MMO5010 Subsea Systems and Operations
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
The influence of the subsea environment on technical systems and operations, Subsea production systems, Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV) and related operations, Diving technology and operations, Surface support vessels and related operations, Safety and reliability in relation to subsea operations and equipment, Practical simulator demonstration, Student excursion to the PRS subsea base at Killingøy. Hydraulic systems and circuits.
- can explain the challenges and constrains the subsea environment represents for subsea equipment and operations;
- have basic knowledge of typical field developments where subsea production systems are extensively used;
- have knowledge of subsea production systems, including drilling and completion of wells, equipment, and maintenance-/intervention methods;
- can explain methods for subsea operations, including the use of remotely operated vehicles (ROV), diving and relevant surface vessels;
- have knowledge of reliability- and risk analysis methods;
- have basic knowledge of components and control equipment used in hydraulic systems.
The students are able to
- assess the influence of the Subsea environment on technical systems and operations;
- prepare specifications for equipment to be used subsea;
- prepare operation procedures related to subsea installation and maintenance/intervention;
- can keep themselves updated in a subject of rapid development;
- can apply standards and guidelines related to general engineering work;
- can work in teams together with other persons to prepare and perform project work.
Recommended previous knowledge
Physics, Thermodynamics and Fluid mechanics.
Lectures, calculation training, simulator demonstration and industry excursion. Develop a portfolio.
1. Written exam, 4 hours. 80/100.
2. Portfolio, 1 semester. 20/100.
Examination support material
1. Written exam - Formula book
2. Portfolio - All helping aids and printed documents allowed
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material
- ING2049 - Undervassteknologi og hydrauliske system - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB3028 - Marine operasjonar i havrommet - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB3035 - Marine operasjonar i havrommet - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- MAS260 - Undervassteknologi - Reduction: 5 studypoints