NAB1026 Navigation I
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
- Ship terms
- Ship types
- Ship ranks
- Watchkeeping arrangements
- Geodetic coordinate systems, lattitude and longitude, directions and distances.
- Course and bearing
- Charts: Paper chart, chart-catalog and scale
- Basic chart projection and geodetic datum
- Chart datum (LAT, MW and HAT)
- Seamark, lights and chart symbols
- Positions in charts: lat/long, bearing/distance, cross bearing, dist/dist.
- Basic planning in chart
- Chart voyage.
- Chart corrections.
- Electromagnetic radio technical terminology
- AIS and AIS-SART
- Radar, racon and SART
- Electronic charts
- Magnetic- and gyrocompass with course corrections
- Basic COLREG - Overview, rule 3, part C, and part B
The subject covers relevant IMO requirements stated in STCW78 found in tables A-II/1 and A-II/2.
This course is in combination with the courses NAB1027 Navigation II and NAB2014 Navigation III the foundation for course diploma for ARPA, ECDIS and AIS.
This course in combination with NAB1027 Practical Navigation II, NAB2014 Navigation III and NAB3010 Operational Management are the foundation for the BRM course diploma.
The student must get hold of norwegian chart no. 21 & 23 before the course.
- has basic knowledge of maritime notions, -words and -terms
- has basic knowledge of COLREG and application of these rules
- has basic knowledge of electromagnetic and radio technical terminology
- has thorough knowledge of maritime radar, ARPA,electronic chart systems, electronic charts, gyro compass, autopilot and AIS
- has basic knowledge in use of charts for navigation
- The student
- can with use maritime terminology communicate with fellow students and instructors in a simulator situation
- can carry out an optimal adjustment of maritime radar in simulator, including use of utillity functions of a modern maritime radar
- can make use of ECDIS in planning and monitoring a voyage
- can use magnet- and gyrocompass, autopilot and AIS
- can carry out basic voyage planning in paper charts
- can make a position fix, observe the ship traffic considering close quarter situations/ COLREG and identify navigation marks using electronic navigation system like radar and ECDIS
- can make a position fix using paper chart and optical utility like navigation mark etc.
- Knows the develoment of new radar- and compass systems
Recommended previous knowledge
Lectures, chart work and assignments, simulator exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
Practical exam will be held in the simulator (30%).
Written exam (70%). May be conducted electronicall.
Examination support material
Practical exam - divider and parallel ruler
Written exam - Approved calculator Casio fx-991EX and The University College's Teknisk formelsamling (Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa og Olsen).More about examination support material
- NAB1002 - Terrestrisk navigasjon - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB1015 - Navigasjonsinstrument I - Reduction: 5 studypoints