NAB1030 Basic Mathematics
Course description for academic year 2019/2020
Contents and structure
This course provides the students with an understandig of basic and fundamental mathemathicsas tools to be used in further nautical science studies.
The student has knowledge of:
- Aritmetic and algebra
- Fractions, parenthesis rules, factorization, reduce rational fractions, laws of exponents, integer and rational exponents, roots.
- Equations and inequalities
- Formulars. Equations, equation systems and inequalities of first, second and higher degree. Factorization of polynomials, divisjon of polynomials and sign schemes.Irrational equations.
- Differentiation and integration
- Rules of differentiation, simple and more complicated functions. Indefinite and definite integrals, different methods of integration. How to solve problems of monotony, max/min, slope and point of inflection, divided -, inverse- and symmetrical functions. Area and volum calculus of a motion of a body about an axis.
- The meaning of functions, linear functions, equations for straight lines, polynomial functions, rational functions, limits, asymptotes, coordinate system, polar coordinates, discussion.
- Exponential- and logarithmic functions, Briggs and natural logarithms. Rules and 1st and 2nd degree equation for logarithms and exponentials. Grafhical drawing and discussion.
- Definition of trigonometric functions. Triangel calculations, area and volum, sinuslaw, cosinelaw, angles, degrees and radians. Trigonometric equations, 1st an 2nd degree. Graphs of trigonometric functions. Differentiation, integration and dicuss graphical solutions.
- Vector calculus
- Vectors in two and three dimensions, vector coordinates, scalar product, vector product, triple scalarproduct, in geometry to use vectorcalculus to find angles, length, area and volum.
- Sequences and series
- Sequences, series, arithmetic ¿ and geometric series, finite and infinite series,convergence.
The student :
- Are able to understand and use mathematical rules and techniques within the topics of the course.
- Are able to analyze and solve different problems.
- Has insight in mathematics as a tool for other courses, and can use logical and analytical methods relevant in further nautical science studies.
None. Note that Nautical Science Y-vei- students must have passed NAB1023 Grunnleggende realfag Y-vei.
Recommended previous knowledge
Mathematics equal to higher education entrance qualification.
Lectures and joint exercise sessions.
Compulsory learning activities
Assignments and tests (will be specified at the beginning of the semester).
Written exam 5 hours.
Grading scale A-F.
Examination support material
Allowed calculator is: Casio fx-991EX. Technical table of formulas (Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa og Olsen) will be handed out during the exam.More about examination support material
- NAB1012 - Matematikk I - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB1013 - Matematikk II - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- NAB1007 - Matematikk - Reduction: 10 studypoints
- NABP1002 - Matematikk - Reduction: 9 studypoints