BAMM2002 Risk and Quality Management
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
The course will provide students with advanced, scientifically based, interdisciplinary knowledge, which will make them to identify unwanted events and hazards, their associated risks, quantify and then mange considering different sources of uncertainties. The students will gain knowledge about theoretical principles and models that are the foundation for quality management in organizations. Based on the theoretical foundations and the methods and tools, the students shall be able to suggest adequate measures to control hazards and enhance the quality.
The course provides an introduction to what risk and quality management are and how risk analysis and assessment related to major accidents should be implemented:
- The risk concept - historical and recent development trends.
- Risk management and its components (establishing the context, risk identification, risk analysis, risk evaluation, risk treatment, monitoring and review, communication and consultation)
- Risk analysis and risk assessment process
- Common analytical methods for risk analysis.
- Uncertainty analysis in risk management.
In addition, the subject provides an introduction in quality systems, standards and regulations, quality tools and methods.
Knowledge Upon completing the course the candidate is able to:
- Describe and explain
- What is the risk and risk management components
- What is the quality systems and quality management
- The role of risk analysis and risk assessment in the context of risk management
- relevant standards for risk and quality management
- Most common risk analysis methods, and how these are used to identify hazard sources, threats and unwanted events, and analyze event sequences, respectively
- Main sources of uncertainty which can affect the risk and quality management
- Research and development within the field of study
- How they can update their knowledge within the subject area's methods and regulations
Skills Upon completing the course, the students should be able to:
- Identify unwanted events and hazards in a defined context.
- Can carry out risk analyzes and assessment using an appropriate tools and models
- Can assess the associated uncertainty in a risk management process
- Can develop quality control systems and argue for their choices.
- Can find, evaluate and refer to information which is needed for an effective risk and quality management
General competences Upon completing the course, the students should be able to:
- Use relevant professional knowledge and standards in a professional way towards riska and quality management.
- The candidate should have insight into risk, quality, , uncertainty and how risks are identified in a defined context
- Can plan and carry out varied work tasks and projects in the context of risk and quality management whit they can extend over time, alone or as a member of a group, and in line with standards and guidelines
Recommended previous knowledge
Emnet er del av en spesielt tilrettelagt overgangsordningen fra 2-årig maritim teknisk fagskole til bachelor. Innhold og oppbygning er basert på denne forutsetningen, samt ønskemål fra representanter fra maritim industri.
Lectures, exercises, seminar and project works.
Compulsory learning activities
Will be specified in the semester plan.
Porfolio (50%) and 4-hour written exam (50%).
Letter grading A - F.
Examination support material
Project report: all aids allowed.
Exam: none.More about examination support material