NAB2028 Loading techniques
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
Concepts and techniques for loading and discharging of ships. Stability, trim, and heeling. Cargo handling. Relevant international rules and regulations.
- The Candidate shall acquire wide knowledge of central problems, processes, tools, and methods within loading technique, stability, trim, list/heeling, and handling of various types of cargo.
- The Candidate shall have knowledge of research and development within the discipline of loading technique.
- The Candidate shall acquire wide knowledge of loading, transport, and discharging of dry and liquid cargoes in bulk, general cargo/Unitized cargo, dangerous cargoes, polluting cargoes, and grain loading, and has the ability to update him-/herself within this discipline.
- The Candidate shall be familiar with the discipline's history, traditions, and distinctive nature. The Candidate understand the importance and significance of the discipline.
- The Candidate shall be able to apply professional knowledge on theoretical and practical issues and perform comprehensive calculations within the subjects which are taught in the course and is able to make reasoned conclusions.
- The Candidate demonstrates knowledge of cargo handling, including loading and discharging, of the various types of cargo which are taught during the course.
- The Candidate is able to find, assess, and refer to information and literature which is necessary for the practice of the discipline.
- The Candidate masters relevant tools, techniques, and concepts within the discipline.
- The Candidate shall acquire the theoretical competence within loading operations as a responsible officer on operational and management level according to the STCW Convention, including 2010 Manila Amendments, table A-II/1 and A-II/2.
- The Candidate is able to plan and carry out various tasks and projects within the discipline, either alone or as a part of a group, in accordance with requirements and principles.
- The Candidate is able to convey central problems and solutions both in writing and orally, and is able to participate in developing good practice.
NAB1030 Basic mathematics
Recommended previous knowledge
NAB2022 Ship Technology
Lectures, workshops, submitted work (when used) and simulator exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
Requirements that must be fulfilled in order to obtain the right to sit for the exam:
1. 100% mandatory attendance in the simulator exercises.
2. As a main rule the student must pass minimum 2 of 3 tests graded to "Passed".
3. The student may be asked to submit a work as defined by the teacher. If this option is used, the work will be defined by the teacher at the start of the semester. Furthermore, if this option is used, minimum 1 of 2 tests graded to "Passed" is needed to obtain the right to sit for the exam. Additionally, the submitted work must be graded to "Passed".
Loading techniques written exam, 5 hours
Grading scale A-F
Examination support material
Approved calculator: Casio fx-991EX
Information booklet - Loading techniquesMore about examination support material
- NAB2060 - Lasteteknikk - 2 - Reduction: 4 studypoints
- NABP3004 - Skipsdrift III - Reduction: 3 studypoints