PL413 Environmental and Public Management Law
Course description for academic year 2020/2021
Contents and structure
The main part of this course is concentrated on central laws and instruments in Norwegian nature and environmental management, as well as general principles and background for management of nature and environment. About 1/4 of the course is a basic introduction to public management law.
The focus is on practical and vocational application. Students will gain insight into the everyday management practice through meetings with representatives of public management. The students will also practice case management.
The students will gain knowledge of:
- objectives, principles and management tools within central parts of Norwegian environmental management.
- basic legal concepts and public management according to the Public Administration Act and the Public Information Act; legal sources, legal method, legislation on case management, impartiality, right of access and appeal
- public management according to important Norwegian environmental acts.
The students will have skills in
- case management in nature management.
Students will have competence to understand:
- procedural rules in public management
- the role of public management in society
- the targets and principles of public environmental management
Recommended previous knowledge
PL417 Land use planning or equivalent knowledge. '
Basic knowledge of ecology and environmental protection is recommended
Lectures, video lectures, seminars and group work
Group and individual assignments
Compulsory learning activities
Requirements before exam
- 2 approved written assignments (1 group assignment and 1 individual assignment)
- Approved participation in seminars
Home exam, 2 days
Grading A-F, where F is not passed
Examination support material
All availableMore about examination support material