FHA318 Basics in nutrition and health
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
This is an introductory course where students get familiar with nutritional content of foods, the connection between nutrition and health, and the role of food and meals in a public health perspective. Main topics of the course include dietary sources, physiological role, and recommendations of major nutrients. The course will also briefly address the rationale for the development of dietary guidelines and selected nutrition policies.
By the end of this course, students will have the following learning outcomes:
- have a basic knowledge of dietary sources, physiological role and the requirements of major nutrients
- have a basic knowledge of challenges related to nutrition through the life cycle
- have a basic knowledge of the rationale for development of current dietary guidelines and selected nutrition policies
- can explain basic concepts relating to nutrition and health
- can differentiate between reliable and unreliable sources for information concerning nutrition
- have basic cooking skills and can prepare safe food, with a focus on sustainability
- can evaluate the nutritional content of meals and plan meals according to recommendations
- can describe the connection between nutrition and health in a public health perspective
The course combines lectures with group discussions and practical work in the kitchen, which are based on the theoretical lectures and discussions. There will be compulsory learning activities regarding learning outcomes to allow students to take an active role in the learning process. In addition, students work on written assignments individually and in groups. The course might include short educational excursions (90 NOK for public transport).
Students need to cover costs for the practical work in the kitchen (300 NOK/student).
Compulsory learning activities
The course includes compulsory learning activities which must be completed and passed before the exam. There are compulsory attendance and requirements for active participation of the student in teaching with compulsory learning activities.
- Written individual assignment. Students submit a report where they record, evaluate and reflect on dietary intake.
- Group practical assignment related to dissemination of nutritional topics to target groups.
Written school exam, 4 hours (English or Norwegian).
Grades: A-F, where F is not approved.
Examination support material
NoneMore about examination support material