PL412 Human intervention on landscapes
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
Assessment of ecological, visual and social impacts of different types of development projects in the natural landscape, such as power development (hydropower and wind power), road construction and large-scale recreational facilities. Identification of visual and ecological vulnerable landscapes, habitats, and vegetation. Introduction to environmental impact assessments, landscape ecology, mitigation measures and ecological restoration. Exercises in terrain shaping through elementary map drawing by hand. The students will carry out a project assignment that includes assessments of the visual and ecological consequences of a development project.
- The student shall understand the consequences of different types of constructions in the landscape, and how they differ between different types of landscapes.
- The student is able to shape terrain and visualize terrain changes through basic map drawing.
- The student have the ability to assess the ecological and visual impacts of different types of construction in the landscape .
No formal prerequisites
Recommended previous knowledge
It is an advantage to have completed the course PL416 Landscape analysis
Lectures,1-3 excursions, Individual exercises and group assignments.
Compulsory learning activities
- Group assignment in selected theme
- Individual exercises and hand-in in terrain shaping
- Participation on compulsory excursions
1) Written project assignment in groups (3-5 students), 60%.
2) Written examination under supervision, multiple choice test, 2 hours, 40%.
New group assignment must be performed if getting a failing grade.
Examination support material
Exam part 1 (group assignment): All
Exam part 2 (multiple choice exam): NoneMore about examination support material
- PL412 - Landskapsinngrep og terrengforming - Reduction: 10 studypoints