MAS221 Mass and Energy Balances
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
Material balance calculations without and with chemical reactions, energy balance calculations, compression and expansion for real gases/fluids, process dynamics, vapor/liquid equilibrium. Equations of state. Introduction to HYSYS (process simulation).
- Has knowledge about material balances and energy balances.
- Has knowledge about thermodynamic diagrams and compression/expansion for real gasses/fluids.
- Has knowledge about basic principles of vapor/ liquid equilibrium.
- Has knowledge about equations of state.
The student is able to
- Generate simple flowcharts with unknown quantities and can find linearly independent equations.
- Is able to set up and solve material balances and energy balances in steady-state and dynamic processes without and with chemical reaction.
- Use thermodynamic diagrams.
- Calculate compression and expansion for real gasses/fluids.
- Calculate vapor pressure of pure component.
- Calculate vapor/ liquid equilibrium.
- Is able to solve equations of state.
- Has knowledge of process simulation programs.
- Is able to provide knowledge written and verbal.
Recommended previous knowledge
Chemistry, Mathematics 1, Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics.
Lectures and computational exercises. HYSYS.
Compulsory learning activities
1) One written test and one written assigment.
2) Assigments in HYSYS
Written exam, 3 hours, accounts for 100 % on the final grade.
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Simple calculator: Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.)More about examination support material
- ING2041 - Prosessteknikk I - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING2030 - Prosessteknikk I - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING2012 - Grunnleggjande prosessteknikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING3001 - Prosessteknikk - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- INGB015 - Masse- og energilikevekter - Reduction: 5 studypoints