MMO5009 Maritime Operations
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
- Aspects of shipping operations with emphasis on the Arctic
- Example of an advanced maritime operation
Dynamic Motions of Ships
- Kinematics and dynamics of ocean waves
- Natural frequencies and frequency of encounter
- Wave-induced motions
- Risk of resonance and minimization of ship motions
Under-keel Clearance Management in Shallow Waters and Channels
- Signs of shallow water entrance
- Parameters affecting the under-keel clearance (UKC)
- Hydrodynamic interaction with bottom topography
- Examples of actual UKC calculations by simulation software
Collision Avoidance at Sea
- The effect of speed - aspect ratio for high speed craft navigation
- Time to - and distance at - closest point of approach
- Collision risk assessment in true motion to multiple targets
- Target selection procedure in congested waterways
Ship Weather Routing
- Optimization criteria
- Principle of the isochrone method to solve the optimization problem
Case Studies of Various Maritime Operations by application of Orcaflex
Demonstration of Maritime Operation(s) on Full-mission Bridge Simulator
- Knows the principles of maritime operations with emphasis on how the environment affects the operations.
- Has thorough understanding of the key environmental factors affecting the performance of maritime operations.
- Knows the fundamental hydrodynamics as a theoretical basis for ship dynamic motions.
- Has advanced knowledge in collision and grounding avoidance at sea.
- Knows the principles of ship weather routing.
- Is able to use appropriate analytical approaches to perform assessment of maritime operations.
- Is able to understand limitations in modelling and simulation of maritime operations.
- Is able to propose and evaluate solutions for planning of effective operations.
- Is able to work in project teams of maritime operations, including international and interdisciplinary project teams.
- Has the foundation to acquire new and more advanced knowledge related to work tasks and operations within the maritime field.
- Can contribute in discussions regarding relevant maritime operations.
Recommended previous knowledge
MMO5003 Modern ship design: Safety, limitations and hazards or equivalent.
Lectures, group-work, self-studies, possible simulator demonstrations.
Compulsory learning activities
Individual written assignment (50 %).
Oral examination of 45 minutes, where presentation of the written assignment lasts 15 minutes (50 %).
Grading scale: A-F
Examination support material
All supporting materials allowed.More about examination support material