MMO5011 Ship Operation and Maintenance Management
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
General ship operation and maintenance, Strategies and methods for maintenance planning, Reliability and availability of equipment and systems, Condition monitoring, Analysis methods to establish maintenance programs i.e. "Reliability Centred Maintenance" (RCM), Computer based systems for maintenance management and spare part Control.
- can describe general principles for ship operations and maintenance;
- can describe different strategies and methods for maintenance management of ships;
- is familiar with definitions related to reliability and availability of technical systems
- is able to prescribe condition monitoring systems for various types of equipment;
- is able to explain computer aided maintenance systems;
- can establish strategies and methods for maintenance including inspection, preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance and condition monitoring;
- can calculate the reliability and availability of technical systems and equipment;
- is able to carry out analyses to optimize maintenance;
- can establish computer aided maintenance- and spare part systems;
- is able to explain the importance of maintenance with respect to safety, environment, availability and total economy;
- has sound knowledge of methods to optimize maintenance;
- can work in teams together with other persons to prepare and perform project work.
Recommended previous knowledge
Lectures, calculation exercises, project work and self studies.
If possible: visit a typical offshore vessel.
Compulsory learning activities
1. Individual semester paper. 60/100.
2. Oral exam. 40/100.
Examination support material
1. Individual semester paper: All helping aids and printed documents allowed
2. Oral exam: No aids allowedMore about examination support material