DAT103 Computers and Operating Systems
Course description for academic year 2022/2023
Contents and structure
The course will give insight about the operating principles of computer. The students will gain the fundamental knowledge about how the resources of a computer can be optimally organised and administrated. This knowledge will form the basis for the use, evaluation and operation of existing operating systems. This course will also convey experience in using UNIX operating system.
- Shell environment and Unix-commands
- Core components of a computer, including CPU, cache, memory & I/O
- Operating principles of computers, particularly the CPU
- Instruction sets
- Assembly programs
- Different types of operating systems
- Overview of the internal structure of operating systems
- Memory- and process management
After completing the course, the students shall be able to:
- Describe the operating principles of a computer and its core components
- Describe simple assembly programs
- Describe the internal structure of operating systems
- Use the shell to automate simple tasks
- Use the services of operating systems in one's own programs
- Find and use information from relevant sources to solve concrete problems
Recommended previous knowledge
ING102, MAT101 and DAT100, or equivalent courses, and programming skills in Java.
Lectures, practical exercises and project work in the lab.
Compulsory learning activities
2-3 compulsory assignments must be completed within the given deadlines and approved before taking the exam.
Approved assignments can also give access to postponed examination in the following semester. However, before a new postponed exam can be taken (the next time the subject is taught), new exercises must be delivered.
Written exam, 4 hours.
Time and place for the exam will be announced on Studentweb and digital exam system.
The exam will be held on a digital exam system. Students must bring their own computer. The software required for the exam must be installed and tested before the exam day.
Grading scale is A-F where F is fail.
Oral exam is possible in case of low enrolment.
Examination support material
None.More about examination support material
- TOD077 - Datamaskiner og operativsystemer - Reduction: 10 studypoints