MAS301 Steel Construction
Course description for academic year 2023/2024
Contents and structure
Introduction to mechanical design of steel structures regarding to EUROCODE 3, hand calculations and finite element method for stress calculation using computational solutions. Load effect based on design conditions, load combinations and reaction forces, capacity of steel structures, dimensioning of beams, rods, frames and nodes.
Construction of piping systems, conditions and criteria, laws, regulations, standards, regulations for the petroleum industry, the calculation of pipes and fittings regarding to pressure and temperature. Stress and load calculation of piping systems with pipe details, standards (TBK 5, ASME, ISO, ANSI, DIN, NORSOK, NS), bearable loads, methods to influence tension and deformation in piping systems. Isometric drawing (manual and CAD), expansion elements, flexibility and restrains, pipe hangers and bearings. Calculation of pipe hangers. Modeling (3-D CAD).
- Knows relevant Norwegian and European standards for mechanical design of bearing structures.
- Can define load combinations included dead load, payloads, environmental loads, accidental loads and so on.
- Knows different cross section classes and capacity regarding to buckling and tilt-buckling.
- Can describe finite element methods for stress calculations related to objects with complex geometry.
- Knows relevant computer programs.
- Knows different calculation norms, production methods and drawing principles.
- Can explain the production process from prefab to commissioning.
- Can do thing for unit load method of strength calculation of piping systems.
- Has broad knowledge of the current regulations in the oil industry.
- Knows the background of the stress analysis by use of calculation programs.
- Knows construction details that are included by pipe construction.
- Have basic knowledge about structural design philosophy and geometric design.
The student can
- Choose methodical solutions for mechanical design of steel structures.
- Apply relevant standards related to calculations of load and capacity.
- Define dimensioning load combinations and constrains.
- Carry out stress calculations.
- Apply standards for dimensioning of beams, rods, frames and nodes.
- Apply calculation program SAP2000 for mechanical design of structures and truss using Eurocodes.
- Apply calculation program ansys workbench for stress and deformation in mechanical components.
- Check the plausibility of computational results with hand calculations.
- Can import 3D models into calculation programs to define geometry and dimensions.
- Can implement the mechanical design and the practical application of piping systems with pipe details and valves.
- Can create isometric piping drawings using computer systems.
- Can create pipe drawings and calculate pipe hanger.
- Can take into account production methods during the design of pipe constructions.
- Can select the manufacturing methods for pipe structures.
- Can specify the relevant production order, including what's included in the work preparation.
- Knows standards to specify loads on bearing structures and can chose methodical solutions for mechanical design.
- Can provide solutions to colleagues and customers methodically in written and verbal form.
- Has a chance to handle unknown FEM programs if they are simular to ansys/SAP2000 .
Recommended previous knowledge
Physics; Statics and Strength of Materials, Mechanical Design I; Materials and Manufacturing
Lectures, project, computer exercises, calculation exercises.
Compulsory learning activities
A. Approved participation in the teaching of SAP2000 and ANSYS
B. two multiple choice tests.
C. two written assignments
Part 1: Written exam, 4 hours
Grade: A - E / F (failed).
Examination support material
Written exam: Simple calculator. Allowed calculator is Casio fx-82 (all varieties: ES, ES Plus, EX, Solar etc.) + all printed and written supporting materials are allowed (to bring).More about examination support material
- ING3042 - Røyrkonstrusjon - Reduction: 7 studypoints
- ING3041 - Maskinkonstruksjon II - Reduction: 3 studypoints
- ING3107 - Maskinkonstruksjon II - Reduction: 3 studypoints
- MAS101 - 3D-Modellering og elementmetode - Reduction: 3 studypoints
- ING3029 - Dimensjonering av stålkonstruksjonar - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- ING3035 - Praktisk stålkonstruksjon - Reduction: 5 studypoints
- RØRKO004 - Rørkonstruksjon - Reduction: 5 studypoints